5 Reasons Why You Need to Watch a Roller Derby Game!
(Pssst…it should be our Double Header on April 22)
By Kendra Croitoru a.k.a. rollersquare
When most skaters mention they play roller derby, a lot of people think of the game from years ago: short skirts, very few rules, big hits, and the resulting injuries. Sounds fun to watch, but the game has progressed a lot since then. Roller derby is a growing sport and often ranked as one of the top 10 most difficult sports, due to its combination of full contact athleticism and strategy. Here are some of our top reasons why you should come check out a roller derby game:
1. Small Venue: Ok that may not sound like a positive, but it is! Our venues are usually intimate, giving you a front-line view of all the action. The sweat, the tears, the yelling…the smelly derby gear! Are you convinced yet? Sometimes we even slide off the track, landing at your feet before we hurl ourselves back into the action. Don’t worry, you’ll be safe.
2. Derby names and personalities: Your derby name is often your alter ego. It’s something you choose or is given to you by your new derby friends. And boy oh boy have we got some great ones…Lady Fawndle, Jack Hammer, Zelda Fightsgerald and Mauley Pop are just a few of the more colourful ones. But you have to come on out on April 22 to see who wears the most interesting and freaky bout makeup 😉
3. It’s unique!: Whether you’re going on a hot date or looking for a fun family activity, a derby game is likely to be something they’ve never seen before! It’s often a new experience for all involved. You can come learn about the sport live, eat some tasty snacks, and have a front row seat to all the action.
4. The crowds: Awesome sports attract awesome spectators. The crowds at derby games are diverse and include some of the friendliest folks you’ll ever meet. They’re all in it together: cheering, reacting to big hits, and answering each other’s questions about the game.
5. Roller derby is no longer ruled by women: I mean…we’re awesome at it. Seriously, like pretty awesome. But we have to give a shout out to our counterparts. The Misfits are associated with the Vancouver Murder, who are currently ranked top 10 in the Men’s Roller Derby Association. That means we train and play with some of the best players in the world! You will have a chance to watch them in June, at our second double header, where they take on the Puget Sound Outcasts. It will be a hard hitting, fast-paced, strategy-laden game of pure awesomeness. Come learn about the game in April and return as an expert for June!
April 22 is our first home game of the year, a double header with the Doomsday Bunnies playing first, followed by the Anarchy Angels. Doors open at 4:30pm and the first whistle is at 5:15pm. Tickets are $10 and there will be a bake sale and food truck on site too! Details can also be found online by checking out the Mainland Misfits Roller Derby Association facebook page (@MMRDA).